16 Jan 2010

Imagine my Surprise - Part II

At Long Valley in mid-week (13th January) I was having a fairly quiet morning when I saw a Black-faced Spoonbill circling in the blue sky.

It dropped out-of-sight into a high-banked fishpond.

Carefully peering over the bank, I beheld the sight of a record (for Long Valley) NINE BFSs on the pond. The pond was partially-drained, and the spoonbills were feeding with Black-winged Stilts, a Grey Heron and Egrets. With the 800mm I could not get them all in the frame at once.

The spoonbills included colour-ringed K81, which has been noted at LV before.






For several years there was only a single record of BFS at Long Valley, but with the habitat management there up to three had been noted regularly earlier this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment