23 Sept 2013

Great Knot at Mai Po Nature Reserve

I really have been trotting around clumps of Hong Kong's woodland looking for migrating flycatchers, but I've got no pics to show for it.

So you'll have to settle for these, taken from the boardwalk hides in Deep Bay a few days ago.

Great Knot - Calidris tenuirostris - with Terek and Blackwit


Eurasian Curlew - Numenius arquata

Eurasian Curlew - Numenius arquata


Marsh Sandpipers - Tringa stagnatilis

Terek Sandpipers - Xenus cinereus

Common Redshank - Tringa totanus

Great Egrets - Casmerodius albus


Common Sandpiper - Actis hypoleucos

Common Greenshank - Tringa nebularia

Black-tailed Godwit - Limosa melanuroides

Eurasian Curlew - Numenius arquata

Eurasian Curlew - Numenius arquata
Proof,  if any were needed,  that I'm just a "Fair Weather Photographer" ....

Toodle Pip !


3 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    I live in HK and fond of photography. I have been wondering when is the best time to visit Mai Po to experience migration of birds... There's a program starts from Jan-Apr conducted by Mai Po management.
    Can you share with me your experience at Mai Po? Is Jan is the perfect time or should I have to wait until March / April?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, Well for birds at the Deep Bay tidelines, perhaps March and April will be better because the tides are higher and closer to the hides. But mid-winter can be okay too, with many duck, cormorants and the biggers raptors potentially making a spectacle.

      Hope this helps !

      Delete
  2. Ok John.
    In that case, let me plan to visit Mai Po during March as I cannot wait for April.
    I had been to HK wetland park few months ago but no birds as expected.
    Is this also comes under the same season (Nov-Apr) to bird watching?
    If you don't mind, please let me know any good places in HK to capture Birds...

    ReplyDelete